Dance Injuries 101
Injuries are something that happen to everyone! In this video, I take you through my injury history as well as my tips and tricks for getting through them! I hope this helps all of you, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
1. Prevention is key! It is always the best idea to do everything you can to prevent injuries rather than worrying about them after they happen! So take care of yourself- eat and sleep well, cross train, and just be kind and listen to your body. Taking good care of yourself will benefit you SO much in the long run!
2. Be mindful. Do NOT push yourself when you know you shouldn’t. There is a huge difference between being lazy and knowing when you need to stop. That is how I sprained my ankle when I was with NYCB. I did not speak up when I should have. So be aware what is happening with your body! A teacher would much rather you come back and do it again tomorrow than have you get injured and have to put in the understudy.
3. If the inevitable happens and you DO get injured, see a professional AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. They can get you on a program or get you the proper treatment you need very quickly. Don’t try and heal yourself- IT DOES NOT WORK. You will get so much better so much faster if you get a professional’s help!
4. Do your exercises, and be faithful doing them! Your doctor or PT will let you know when you can do what, so take it slowly. Make sure each day is a progression- don’t start out with 100 reps right away! Also, do some of your own research. For example, know whether or not you ice or heat your particular injury. That is SO IMPORTANT.
5. TAKE YOUR TIME COMING BACK. This is so important! You could re-injure yourself if you come back to dancing or your activity too quickly. Do one exercise a day if you have to. As a friend once told me, it takes longer to rush. So true!
6. Have a support system. If you only have one person in your corner who can help, use them! You need kindness and a helping hand when you are injured. If you don’t have anyone, I am here for you!